'Art Ability' Submissions Due By June 25
Bryn Mawr Rehab's annual exhibition begins Nov. 3, 2012, and is open to artists around the world.
Art Ability, Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital's annual exhibition of art created by people with disabilities or illnesses, will return in November for its 17th year.
The show will run from Nov. 3, 2012, to Jan. 20, 2013, and organizers are accepting submissions for the juried show.
A press release from BMRH lays out the details:
Artists from around the world who suffer physical, cognitive, visual and hearing disabilities are welcome to submit their work to be included in the annual event. [...]
All of the work accepted for this annual exhibit and sale must have been created after the artist experienced a disabling injury or illness. In addition, art submitted for the exhibit must be available for sale and artists are asked not to resubmit work if it has been exhibited at previous Art Ability events. Eligible media includes: Works on paper, Works on Canvas or Board, Mixed Media, Sculpture, Jewelry, Photography and other Fine crafts. Reproduction prints are not acceptable. [...]
Judges for this year’s event are:
- Alida Fish, Professor, Media Arts: Photography, Film, Animation, The University of the Arts
- Gary Steuer, Chief Cultural Officer, Office of Arts, Culture and the Creative Economy
- Adelina Vlas, Assistant Curator, Modern and Contemporary Art, The Philadelphia Museum of Art
The juried process follows a stringent, two-step procedure that ensures the Art Ability Exhibit and Salepresents highly professional artwork that demonstrates the talent of the artists.
- The first step in the process is led by Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital’s Art Curator who reviews the work submitted.
- The next step brings the judges together to award monetary prizes per entry category.
More information on the show and how to submit work can be found at www.mainlinehealth.org/artability.