Update: Carrabba's will reopen Friday night around 5 p.m.
According to a Carrabba's employee at the scene, the trouble started when large cinders began falling down the chimney, sending embers flying out of the oven. The employee was surprised the restaurant planned to reopen the same night, due to the damage and smell caused by the fire and smoke.
Original story continues below.
Firefighters and paramedics from East Whiteland Fire Company and other nearby departments responded to a chimney fire at Carrabba's Italian Grill in Lincoln Court Shopping Center Friday afternoon. According to East Whiteland Fire Marshal Ken Battin, no one was injured in the fire.
The fire began around noon Friday in a woodburning oven and spread up the chimney to the roof. The extent of the smoke damage is still being determined, but the fire did not spread to either neighboring business—Play-a-Round Golf and Mediterranio Pizza.
Mediterranio Pizza just re-opened Saturday after months of closure following a January fire that caused $400,000 in damage. Owner Joe Failla said he was "sweating bullets" as he saw the fire trucks pull in.
East Whiteland firefighters, police and fire police were assisted by Berwyn Fire Company, Malvern Fire Company, Paoli Fire Company, Uwchlan Ambulance Corps and Goshen Fire Company.