Grab & Go Planner: Turn Black Friday Green
Instead of the mall, head outdoors this Friday.
After a day of turkey and stuffing, spend Friday morning at the Okehocking Nature Center for guided nature walks, live music and more. Have a penguin or dinosaur fan in the family? Head to the movie theatre in Frazer for "Happy Feet Two" starring the tap-dancing penguin, Mumble. Dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes take over the Greater Philadelphia EXPO Center this weekend during the Family Fun & Dinosaur Fest. Be sure to check event webpages for exact times and prices.
- Where/When: Okehocking Nature Center, 5316 West Chester Pike, Newtown Square; Friday, November 25, 9:30 a.m. - noon.
- Why Go: Take a post-Thanksgiving trip to Okehocking Preserve's Garrett Farmhouse for live folk-music, sweets, children's story and guided nature walks. Enjoying spoon playing by local folk singer, Mike Madigan. Visit the Willistown Parks and Recreation webpage for additional information.
- Price: Free.
Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Where/When: Begins at 20th Street and JFK Boulevard, Philadelphia; Thursday, November 24.
- Why Go: Massive balloons, colorful floats along with marching bands fill the streets of Philadelphia. The Thanksgiving day parade has been a yearly tradition for over 90 years. For a complete list of performers and parade route, visit 6 ABC parade website.
- Price: Free.
- Where/When: Malvern Federal Savings Bank, 100 West King Street and The Malvern Public Library, 2 E First Avenue, Malvern; Now through December 7th, during business hours.
- Why Go: Teach children the importance of helping others. Food needed include soups and gravy, cereal, spaghetti sauce and pasta, canned meats, canned veggies and fruit, stuffing mix, canned juice and grocery store gift cards. Visit the Victorian Christmas food drive website for more information.
- Price: Cost of donated food items.
Afternoon at the Movies - Happy Feet Two
- Where/When: United Artists East Whiteland Stadium 9, 593 West Lancaster Avenue, Frazer; Check theater website for exact movie times.
- Why Go: Penguin fans will enjoy this happy, upbeat movie. Featuring the voices of Elijah Wood, Pink, Robin Williams and Brad Pitt. For current showtimes and movies, visit the United Artists East Whiteland website.
- Price: Prices vary depending on time.
Family Fun & Dinosaur Fest
- Where/When: Greater Philadelphia EXPO Center, 100 Station Avenue, Oaks; November 25, 26 and 27, check out event website for exact times.
- Why Go: Travel 65 millions years back to when dinosaurs ruled the land. Children of all ages will enjoy the Burning Tree Mastodon and many other replica dinosaurs. Other activities include fossil digging, moon bounce and carnival games. Visit the Family Fun website for a complete list of times and additional information.
- Price: Adults 16 and over $12, children 10 to 15 years old $10, children 5 to 9 years old $8 and children four and under $6.