Sobering Statistics Regarding Students
The schools budget discussion included a by-the-numbers look at student well-being in the district.
At a recent Great Valley School District Board meeting, Jane Trimble, the student services coordinator, explained the level of activity in her department.
"I can tell you we have a steady stream of students through student services on any given day, between 10 to 20," Trimble said.
Here are the statistics she supplied to the board for the 2011-12 school year as of the March 12, 2012, board meeting:
- 20 students hospitalized for suicidal ideation and threats
- 5 high school students in rehab
- 5 middle school students in rehab
- 70 high school referrals to SAP [Student Assistance Program] team to date
- 45 drug and alcohol screenings in high school, 8 of which were policy violations
- 25 (approx) staff referrals in middle school
- 7 drug and alcohol screenings in middle school, 5 policy violations
- Mike (COAD) sees 27 kids in group, 10 individually
- Christa at the high school sees 20 kids in supportive way on regular basis, as well as 5-20 for attendance matters. She's been involved in 25 different types of crises intervention and support.
- Terry at the middle school sees 46 student, 14 for crisis intervention.
- 25 CYF [Chesco Department of Children, Youth and Families] referrals
- 2 children in dependency court, 10 in district court and 9 threat assessments.